Feeder and infeed
Stepless and continuous pile lift
Digital drive control provides for an even and continuous pile lift, maintaining a constant height for separation and feeding of the sheet stream.
If the pile is not absolutely flat and instead slopes down towards the edges, any height differences are automatically compensated by the feeder head. If necessary, the height control can also be switched to front edge sensing without interrupting production.
The multi-chamber suction-belt feed table features substrate-dependent control on the basis of characteristic curves for presetting and compensation of the air settings. Manual adjustments are no longer necessary. Two broad suction belts provide for optimum sheet transport down to the feed line, where arrival is supported by two vacuum drive elements.
Motorised remote adjustment of the feed line and individual front lay adjustment render manual intervention superfluous. All settings can be saved as job-specific data and are thus available for fast presetting at any time in the future.
replaces the conventional vacuum side lay. Lateral alignment of the sheet no longer takes place on the feed table. A sensor first detects the exact position of the sheet edge. During transfer to the first printing unit, the gripper bar of the feed drum then moves to the chosen side by the calculated pull distance. This leaves twice as much time for alignment of the sheet in the front lays. requires no operator settings and guarantees ultimate alignment accuracy.
A key panel with intuitive pictograms is integrated into the front of thefeeder. At the first printing unit, a combination of pictogram key panel and touchscreen permits fast and reliable navigation.
Four intelligent sheet monitoring systems provide for safe passage of the sheets into the Rapida large-format presses:
- Mechanical multiple-sheet detector
- Automatic skew-sheet monitoring
- Sheet arrival timing control
- Skew-sheet sensors at the feed line
- Electronic pull distance monitoring
Rapida large-format presses are driven via a single continuous gear train, while the cylinders run in multiple-row antifriction roller bearings. These bearings permit an absolutely play-free setting, and in this way provide for ultimate quiet running and precision.
Venturi sheet guiding
A completely new sheet guiding concept has been realised on the large-format Rapida series. The form and layout of the nozzles in the sheet guide plates are guarantees for contact-free sheet transfer and the greatest possible substrate flexibility. Speed-compensated Venturi fan systems force the sheets to follow the curvature of the guide plates without coming into actual contact. No manual settings are required even for extremely thick materials. And that also applies to the grippers! All air settings are preset-capable.
Inking unit– fast and slim
With their further improved, fast-reacting inking units, the large-format Rapida presses promise a high degree of repeat accuracy with presetting data. Optimum dissipation of the heat from rollers promotes fast attainment of an ink-water balance and reduces start-up waste accordingly.
- Disengaging of unused inking units-spares roller wear
- Remote control of oscillation timing
- Remote setting of vibrator frequency
- Ink train separation with impression-off
- Connection between inking and dampening unit switched from the console
- Characteristic curve for parameterised compensation of dampening unit speed
- Automatic pre-dampening program
- Oscillating bridge roller on the dampening forme roller
- Differential drive for the dampening forme roller to prevent the formation of hickeys; switchable from the console during production
The high repeat accuracy of previously set ink profiles can be attributed to the unique, bleed-free ink metering in theink duct. The ceramic-coated duct roller for the new large-format press is characterised by its ultimate flexural rigidity. The ink duct calibration remains unchanged over even longer periods, and print quality is maintained at the highest level.
Semi Automatic Plate Change
- Automated plate change
- Pneumatic opening and closing of the plate cylinder guard
- Automatic rotation to the change positions
- Automatic clamping and tensioning of the plate
100 seconds per unit
Fully Automatic Plate Change
- Fully automatic plate change
- Change process includes register zeroing
- Plate change completed in 3 cycles
- Parallel changing in several printing units
- Faster, optimised change process with change time of 3 minutes, including register zeroing
- Divided rear plate clamps
All units in 3 minutes
Simultaneous Plate Change
- Simultaneous, fully automatic plate change in all printing units
- Plate cylinder direct drive with dedicated high-torque motors
- Plate change parallel to other makeready processes
All units in 100 seconds
is a multi-purpose washing system for rollers, blankets and impression cylinders. The blankets and impression cylinders are washed sequentially with a swing-action washing beam. Washing programs can be defined and selected independently for each printing unit at the press console.
This system possesses two washing beams. The first is identical to that of the basicsystem. The second washing beam is fixed in position and is responsible only for blanket washing. can thus wash the blankets and impression cylinders simultaneously. The special feature, however, is that both washing beams can be applied to the blanket. The washing time is then practically halved. Especially in folding carton production, the facility for fast mid-production blanket washing brings extreme time benefits. The cloth rolls on both washing beams can be replaced during full-speed production. And as part of the ergonomic design, both washing beams are installed at the level of the blanket cylinder, where the space and light conditions are best.
Ink roller washing has always been one of the most time-consuming makeready processes at the printing unit. WithReInk, however, KBA now offers a solution for highspeed washing of the inking units. The average washing time is reduced to just 90 seconds, which represents a time saving of up to 78 per cent. The washing process runs parallel to cylinder washing.
was developed for users who need to switch frequently between different ink systems. Independent washing circuits are provided for the different solvent types (UV/conventional) and can be selected individually from the press console. The separate pipes and spray bars prevent any intermixing of the different solvents. eliminates complex manual switching of the solvent systems and the associated cleaning of the solvent circuits.
permits blanket washing to be done with the UV lamps in standby mode. The waiting times otherwise necessary to avoid the risk of fire before and after washing are no longer necessary. More efficient makeready and a longer service life of the UVlamps are further benefits of this system. A must for every UV printer.
Targeted stripping of the remaining ink from plate and blanket shortens washing times and can even replace blanket washing altogether with short runs.
The standard coater tower features a chamber blade coating system with laser-engraved anilox roller. The printing pressure and the lateral, circumferential and diagonal register are set remotely from theconsole. All positioning motions of the coating forme cylinder are fully automatic. The coating forme is clamped and tensioned pneumatically at the press of a button – without the need for tools of any kind.
(= Simultaneous Forme Change)
The newcoater with (= Simultaneous Forme Change) offers the sensational possibility to change the coating forme during plate changing or washing processes on the printing units. If only one tower of a double-coater press is actually being used, coating makeready can already be done on the second tower while current production is still running.
The new AniSleeve system
To cater for job structures with frequent changes in the required coating application, the anilox roller is now available in sleeve form. The sleeve can be replaced with ease by a single person – and that similarly parallel to other makeready processes.
The fully automatic coating supply system is available with two separate circuits for dispersion and UV coatings. Individually defined cleaning programs ensure an excellent cleaning result and guarantee the immediate availability of the coating system for the next job. The coating supply is controlled centrally via theconsole.
Intelligent Viscosity Logic (IVL)
Fully automatic filling level monitoring and viscosity-based pump control combine to prevent the chamber blade running empty. The IVL system immediately compensates any changes in coating viscosity, and in this way excludes the risk of a sudden loss of coating.
The new Hi-Flow blade chamber
The filling volume of the new Hi-Flow blade chamber has been reduced by approx. 70 per cent. The correspondingly higher coating flow velocity serves to prevent coating starvation and improves the handling of coatings susceptible to foaming. The Hi-Flow blade chamber forms the basis for maximum production speeds.
Thesystem is fully integrated into the console. Automatic pile temperature and stepless dryer control help the operator to determine the optimum settings. The carbon twin lamps with an IR power rating of 80 W/cm can be replaced without tools and are furthermore suitable for installation in a separate dryer tower.
Blue is an energy-efficient infrared/hot-air drying system, with newly developed hot-air nozzles for an optimised air flow. The ready-heated drying air is recycled within the extended delivery. The reduces the volume of intake air to be heated and lowers the energy consumption of the heater unit. Closed hoods above the dryer modules serve to minimise heat losses. The result is an energy-saving potential up to 50% compared to conventional IR/hotairdryers.
The compact dryer modules feature stepless control and a UV power rating of 200 W/cm. A special plug-connector system was developed for the power supply and water cooling, ensuring fast and simple installation of the modules. If required, UV final drying modules can also be used as interdeck dryers. The operating hours are counted fully automatically for each individual lamp, irrespective of where it happens to be installed on the press.
Thedelivery incorporates KBA‘s new Venturi sheet guiding concept. Access to the extended delivery sections is both straightforward and safe. The Venturi guide plates can be dropped down without tools for easy cleaning. The new shadow-free aerodynamic gripper carriages minimise the air turbulence affecting powder spraying. In addition, the delivery features a speed-compensated gripper opening cam to accommodate a wide range of substrates. Blower bars and fan modules above the pile provide for gentle and precise sheet delivery. All settings can be made remotely and saved as preset data.
Thedelivery can be extended by either 2.6 or 3.9 metres. The extension modules provide installation space for an individual choice of dryer systems.
The sheet brake installed in thedelivery is matched to the field of application of the individual press. Pre-suction wheels ahead of the sheet brake module can be set at an angle to keep the tail of the sheet smooth. Board presses possess heavy-duty suction elements with high vacuum power. Substrate-dependent control of the suction intensity brings the large-format Rapidas up to full production speed immediately after each job changeover.
Emission Extraction System
The delivery extraction systems safeguards a pleasant work environment for the operator. Where appropriate, the emission-laden air can also be passed via a filter before release into the atmosphere.
- Touchscreen for ergonomic access to all press functions
- Wall screen for visualisation of all press settings
- Live image from on wall screen
- Ink profile displays on console
- Integration with existing DensiTronic professional possible
- Motorised console height adjustment with memory function
- Integrated remote maintenance module KBA PressSupport 24Sheetfed with Internet link for remote maintenance and software updates
Control console functions (dependent onincorporated options)
- Job-specific saving of all relevant press parameters for repeat jobs
- Remote register setting
- Integration of “Instrument Flight” for extended colour control
- Control for all peripheral equipment
- Maintenance indicator and print-outs of maintenance lists
- Unbroken production data acquisition in conjunction with Professional
- Creation and printing of pile dockets
- Preview images
Job changeover program
- Preparation of the next job while production is still running
- Format and substrate thickness
- All substrate-specific air settings
- Ink profiles
- Washing functions
- Automatic execution of all preselected makeready processes in time-optimised order
- Ink profile presetting via CIP3 data
- Comprehensive management system for KBA presses
- CIP3/CIP4 interface to prepress
- JDF/JMF interface to an MIS
- Order management
- Press presetting
- Master data, including central ink database
- PressWatch for graphic representation of the overall production process
- SpeedWatch for graphic representation of job progress
- Automatic saving and management of all quality reports
- Fully automatic non-stop system with sensor-monitored rake for pile transport and pile reunion
- Pile insertion and removal possible from all three sides
Non-stop operation at the delivery
- Non-stop pile change possible at full production speed
- Lowerable non-stop roller rack extended automatically above the main pile
- Sensor monitoring for lifting/lowering of main and auxiliary piles
- Networking of press control, non-stop pile changing systems and pallet supply for efficient print production
Sheet format :
1060 x 1450 mm
500 x 600 mm
1050 x 1450 mm
0.1 – 0.7 mm
With lightweight package
< 0.1 - 0.7 mm
With board-handling package (from approx. 450 g/m 2)
0.1 - 1.2 mm
With corrugated package
0.1 - 1.6 mm
10 +/-1 mm
up to 8 printing units + coater
up to 7 printing units + double coater
up to 9 printing units + coater
10 printing units
With high-speed package 3):
up to 8 printing units + coater
Feeder in non-stop operation
approx. 1000 mm
Delivery in non-stop operation
1180 x 1460 mm
Standard copy line
1305 x 1480 mm
1) Printability is also influenced decisively by the flexural rigidity of the substrate
2) Dependent on individual processing parameters, e.g. the inks and substrates used
3) High-speed package not available for double-coater presses